Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

 This was an interesting year for Thanksgiving for many reasons.  This was our first major holiday without my Mom.  Thanksgiving, Adam's birthday, and the first day of Hanukkah all fell on the same day.   Like I said in my last blog, I am doing things that I know my mom would have wanted me to do. As many of you that are married know, you typically rotate holidays so that everyone gets a fair chance to celebrate each holiday with you.  This year was not technically a Rubin year, but we made it one.

My mother was the glue that holds this family together.   She makes all the holidays so that all of the older generation has somewhere to go to celebrate.  I do not take that lightly.  It was my mission and my purpose this year to cook Thanksgiving for them.  So I threw my 2 year old, my newly 35 year old husband, complete with IV in his arm to receive fluids to prevent dehydration, in the car and drove 325 miles in order to do exactly that.

I had never made a full Thanksgiving before.  I was always my mom's assistant and helped with a part of each dish.  So with my mom's recipe cards, thank goodness for my sister, I attempted it.  The turkey came out phenomenal.  I was so impressed.  The other sides, stuffing, green bean casserole, and sweet potato casserole were not exactly like they were when my mom made them, but nevertheless they were yummy and were gobbled right up. I definitely have improvements that I can make next year.

 My mom's main goal and priority in life was family.  I am here to continue that tradition.  The day was a beautiful one.  The weather cool and crisp, sunny, and breezy. As I looked at everyone who surrounded our Thanksgiving table I smiled knowing this was exactly where I was supposed to be this year.  I had a few moments, during cooking, where I wished my mom could have been there. But then I remembered that she was.  She was not in pain or suffering and she was enjoying the holiday just as she would have any other year. I hope her heart was smiling as she watched us try to carry out the delicious meal that she always prepared so flawlessly.  Here is a shout out to my lovely assistant, my dad, who followed every direction I gave him, even though he tries to take credit for being the executive chef.

My dad always wears these Hawaiian shirts for main holidays.  We thought it would be funny to get Grayson an equally "spirited" one.   You will also notice that this green ball was the main hit of the trip.    It appears in every picture taken.

One of the first days we were there, Gramps and I took Grayson down to the beach to play.  He "was" in full clothes, and I use the term was loosely.  One rogue wave came and sent him toppling down and he was soaking wet.  So no skin off his back.....we stripped him and he had a great time running around the shore in his diaper.

My parents have AMAZING friends that don't live in the building year round.  They were so generous and offered for us to stay at their apartment over the last 6 months during all of our visits. The unit faces oceanfront and to say Grayson loved it out there was an understatement.  He would spend all day running around on the balcony, looking at the water, or spinning in the chair.  (Notice our green ball again.)
 Only in South Florida, would we go to the mall and see this set up for photo ops.  Of course I couldn't resist snapping one since we all know I would not have any such opportunity here in Jacksonville.  Looks like a mug shot I know.  He did NOT want to be standing there.  (but he has his green ball!)
 One of his ABA tutors sent me this photo this week.  He had climbed onto the trampoline to sit.  He doesn't like to jump.  He would prefer that others do all the hard work and he just reaps the benefits.  So he would tap this little girl's shoes every time he wanted her to jump. She would oblige. Already quite the ladies man.

No comments:

Post a Comment